Saturday, September 1, 2012

An Important Message for September

One of the {many} perks of being me is that I have this little blog and all of you, my readers, to help spread the word when it comes to worthy causes. I suppose there are a few of you who will be thinking, “Oh great, here she goes again…” but I would be very remiss if I didn’t share this tidbit:

September is ovarian cancer awareness month.
{Please read this important message!}
{me & my girl C}

Since my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in February 2011, I've discovered that there are a lot of organizations that promote public awareness of this terrible disease {commonly known as the silent killer}. And I'll admit that before my mom was diagnosed, I knew nothing about early detection of ovarian cancer, nor of the symptoms associated with it.

I recently learned of an organization called Teal Toes. This particular organization promotes awareness of ovarian cancer by encouraging women to paint their toenails teal {the color representing ovarian cancer} for the month of September. Now, teal is not a color I would normally sport on my toes {or fingers for that matter}. And when I first read about it my initial thought was, “Nah…don’t really want teal toes for the whole month of September.” But you know what? My mom doesn’t want ovarian cancer for the whole month of September either and she’s darn well stuck with it. So, teal toes it is.

My dear readers, please heed the warning signs and do yourselves and your loved ones a favor and be checked! I found a great article that I'm hoping all of you will read {click here} and I'm praying that everyone who reads this blog post will be screened for ovarian cancer and/or encourage your female loved ones to be checked. If your doctor dismisses your request for a screening, demand it! I had a simple blood test to check my CA125 levels, just for my own peace of mind {and I've also had other testing as well}.

So now you know: early detection = survival!
And with that, dear friends, I wish you an amazing
September full of happiness, love, and good health.

You can read more about my mom and how to join Team Teal by clicking here.

19 comments:

helena said...

Thanks for sharing the info on early signs etc Deb - in my experience they are not well known. I had the blood test 5 years ago when I had bad bloating - timely reminder to have it tested again.

Patty Branco said...

Thanks girl! How's Momma doing? Thank you for the information, awareness is key!

Cheri said...

Thanks for the important info Deb! I feel better knowing that I was both on the pill for 5+ years before having children and had a tubal after my twins. Two things I apparently did right without knowing all the benefits!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

An important message for every day, not just september. Hope your mom knows she has a whole lot of people sending love and prayers.

debs14 said...

As they say, 'knowledge is power'. It's so easy to dismiss small worries and miss something important. A brilliant post to remind us all that any changes from 'normal' need to be investigated. Pretty toes by the way!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thanks for the reminder Deb. I desperately need to get all my "tests" done.
Rinda

traci said...

thank you so much for sharing the info deb. it is a very important message. as always, prayers for your mom.

furrypig said...

thinking og you Deb, I feel I may need to paint my toe nails (which I never do!!) I am visiting my dad at the moment it's a roller coaster at the moment xxx

humel said...

Good for you, Deb. I won't be doing my nails because I never do wear nail varnish (and I hate my feet so noone ever sees my toes anyway!) but I wear my wristband often xx

Alison said...

I may have to go for another pedicure and have teal marbling this time! Thanks for the reminder
Alison xx

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

I will happily paint my toenails Deb, although I have a feeling they will not be on show much as we head into Autumn. Thanks for the timely reminder to listen to our bodies x

Lizzie said...

Thanks for sharing these links. I will be more aware now.
Hope Marti is getting on ok with her chemo...
XX

Irene said...

Thanks for sharing this info. I make it a point have all my testing done on my birthday month that way I do not forget. Go Team Teal!

Lisa-Jane said...

I love the colour and I think it looks great on toes so I shall be looking out for some polish to join in. I'm waiting to be seen at the moment for unexplained abdo pain so this is very timely for me because I wouldn't have considered ovarian cancer as something to be ruled out.

Mom said...

I hope I feel up to getting teal toes before the month is over. Thanks for spreading the word, my dear! Love you! xo (BTW--they look cute!) xoxo

Beverly said...

Thanks for the links, Deb, we have 3 away games (not another home game until the 29th) so maybe I can sneak some teal into my purple nail life ;)

Karen said...

Thanks, Deb! We all need reminders to take these kind of precautions. Think of you and your mom every day!

boysmum2 said...

I'm off to the local store to see if I can't find some teal colour polish. Needed to redo my toes, so why not support a good cause. Picture on my blog when completed.

Lisa-Jane said...

http://comeinsidemycrazyhead.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/woyww-173.html I'm wearing Teal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...